Thursday, April 23, 2009

32+ week update

Just got back from this week's appointment...it was a loooooong one, almost 2 1/2 hours. My weight has, for the third week in a row, not changed. YEAH!!!! There still might be hope of not going over the dreaded number. Several of the nurses commented on my ankle/foot size, which of course today was rather large. Steve said it was a good thing that I have big calves because it keeps me from looking like I have "cankles." He is soooooo funny!! I think the nurses will miss him once this baby arrives.

Today I started my NST monitoring, which measures her heart rate and how she reacts. It was almost comical because they strap on two monitors to measure her heart rate and any contractions I might be having. She was moving around so much that they couldn't keep the monitor on her. They had to keep moving it and finally, after over 30 minutes, they gave up and said that she must be reactive to have that much movement.

My fundal measurement (over the top of my belly) was between 37 and 38. It should be between 32 and 34, but we know that she is a little on the big side. They checked my sugar records and said they were a littel borderline. Dr. Venus came in to see me and has decided to try a very low dose of some medication to see if we can get them a little lower. There is a large amount of amniotic fluid and we are hoping that lowering the sugar levels will also lower the amniotic fluid levels.

I know the question of the day is exactly how much does this "little" bundle of joy weigh. Well, I am beginning to worry about a few of those really cute 0-3 month outfits that Steve and I bought. I am, technically, 32 weeks and 5 days pregnant. She is measuring 36 weeks and 5 days, which is a full 4 weeks bigger than average. The weekly email that I received on Monday said that she should weigh about 3 lbs and 12 oz. All of today's measurements put her at a6 lbs and 4 oz. The good thing is that all of her measurements (leg, head and belly) are putting her at about the same place, which means that she is nice and proportional. She is just chunky!! Dana said she is in the 91% percentile for weight.

Next week I will begin twice a week visits for the NST monitoring and they will measure my amniotic fluid each Friday. We just need to cross our fingers that she stays put until at least June 3, preferrably June 5

No comments: